A unique restaurant in a unique location, 13 miles off the West Coast of Ireland
About the place:
Inis Meáin Restaurant & Suites offers a unique hospitality experience with an award-winning restaurant and five suites inspired by their unusual surroundings in The Aran Islands. Thirteen miles off the west coast of Ireland in the open Atlantic, both island life and the Restaurant and Suites have been moulded by their exposure to the natural elements of their setting.
The restaurant was voted one of the 12 best restaurants in the world in 2011.
When Bird and Dine visited in July 2015, we walked around the island of Inis Meáin and were surrounded by Wheatears, Stonechats, Skylarks and Linnets, and on the coast saw Ringed Plovers with chicks, and Sandwich and Arctic Terns fishing. On the crossing to the island we saw Black Guillemot, Guillemot, Manx Shearwater, Fulmar, Kittiwake, Gannet. The meal was excellent (fantastic lobster!) , and we watched Stonechats, Linnets, Ravens and Choughs while we dined. The morning after, a juvenile Cuckoo was perched on the wall below our window. This island is peaceful and the birdlife is easy to see. A special place indeed.
- Chough, Raven, Wheatear, Stonechat, Cuckoo, Peregrine, Gannet
- Arctic, Sandwich and Little Terns breed on the island
- Coastal and island with mountains as a backdrop.
- Excellent views from inside
- Specialities include lobster and crab caught by local fishermen from currachs, the traditional island fishing boats
- Vegetables, fruit and herbs grown on the island by the restauranteurs
- Open: Early April till late September
- Accommodation: yes, but advance reservations necessary, please call or Email
What Customers say:
- News: Great reviews
Location: Galway, Ireland
- Inis Meáin, Aran Islands, Co. Galway, Ireland